Saturday, March 26, 2016

Repairing our Jenn-Air oven - Hood fan broke

Our Jenn-air hood fan has 5 speed control, recently the first 4 speed controls were not working, it would turn on for a split second then cut off. The maximum speed fan control is the only one that is working. It rules out the motor problem though. Also the two brightness setting on the oven light was not working either, the brightness can only be set to bright, not dim.

After searched from internet, I found this service manual (it didn't come with the manual when we purchased this oven 8 years ago.)

http://applianceassistant.com/ServiceManuals/16023510_maytag_jenn-air_jxt_vent_hoods.pdf

My hood model is JXT9048CDP. After read through the service manual, I knew the problem was either touch pad or control board. I disassembled the hood to expose the wiring.

I removed the touch pad, use multi-meter to test the continuity. The switches on touch pad are special kind, they need to be pressed down and hold when performing the test. It took me a while to figure it out. At first, I thought it was just on/off switch, so I press it once, test it, it was open state, then I pressed it again, it was still open. The correct way to test them is to press the switch and hold it down until the reading is shown. The touch pad turned out to be fine. After all, they are just some simple switches.


There was no much you can do to test the control board. The service manual only tells you to test if you can get the 120V of input voltage to control board which I did. So input voltage is right, the control board must be defected. There is no model # printed on the board, so it took me a while to find out it's part no. from internet, which is #49001238. On some big company's website, it is sold for $228. I ordered it from the site below for $148. Not the cheapest one from internet but it's more reliable seller from the review.

http://www.centralapplianceparts.com/Whirlpool-Corp-Electronic-Control-49001238-p/49001238.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5ti3BRD89aDFnb3SxPcBEiQAssnp0qSNURkaR-N-MYg784ZWSEDKd4O7fB2TILmm-9CixIoaAsfi8P8HAQ&Click=37826

After replaced the control board, the problem solved!

P.S. After a month, the control board stop working. Called the company, they agreed to send another part. Got the part in a week, installed, nothing works, there was a crack on the PCB board, same cracks was also found on the first shipped one which I didn't notice before. Called them again, they sent another one, this time the part looks much newer and no cracks. It worked but I hope this one will last longer time.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same issue, but I cannot find anyone that carries this board anymore! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have the same problem and can't find the board.

    ReplyDelete